Oh man you guys!!! Did we ever have the TIME of our LIVES while visiting the Xel-Ha waterpark (Here) just outside of Cancun!! Swimming, snorkeling, diving, zip lining, dolphin experience, water slides, hammocks, GREAT FOOD and just overall an AMAZING experience for our little family!! As with ALL adventure parks comes the AMAZING things and the not so amazing things. LOL. Id love to tell you about OUR experience and give a little insight on what we LOVED and what I think you need to think about before booking a trip here.
- First was the location. We stayed in Cancun and really wanted to experience this water park. Well, be ADVISED it’s almost 2 HOURS AWAY from Cancun. Yes, TWO HOURS!! Had I known this beforehand, we probably wouldn’t have gone or we would have booked a closer hotel. Actually, in all honesty… it’s a lot like Disneyland… THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO!!! So if I could do it over, I would actually stay either on site or VERY close and experience the water park in TWO DAYS. We were there from 9 am- 5pm and although, we packed A TON in… we didn’t see HALF of the park!!
- Second is the reality of size. Guys Xel-ha is OVER 300 acres total! You walk A LOT!!! There is also the option to bike, take a train, swim the park or walk along the trails. There are trails ALL around the park. Click (Here) for the map of the entire park. Not only is the park HUGE but there is SO much to do!!! There is seriously an activity for EVERY age!!
- Xel-ha does have MANY activities that are INCLUDED in the price… for us we paid ($695 for our whole family) That included the entrance fee to the park and all food was included in that price! Some of the activities included in the entrance fee were: snorkeling the whole park (equipment was included), AN AMAZING kids play area complete with suspended bridges, hanging tree houses, slides, a water obstacle course and a “REALLY FUN” water slide as my kids said. The kids play area was PHENOMENAL!! I was BLOWN away with the natural design elements and my kids literally played in it for hours having the time of their lives!! There is also a 10 story water slide that is included. We wanted to go on this so bad but by the time we got there, the line was over an hour long and we didn’t have enough time. There are a couple large and very tranquil hammock areas that we enjoyed… and it was OH SO relaxing!! Because the park is so large, they offer free bikes at different stations… where you literally pick your size, strap on a helmet and go!! It was REALLY fun and they had bikes for every size! I would be careful though, the bikes aren’t in the best of shape and they don’t get a lot of maintenance… they were fine for us, but we bike A LOT. Our FAVORITE included activity by far had to be the ropes course/ zip line… OMG you guys!! It was incredible!!! The ropes course was VERY difficult and really is for ages 12 and up so we just enjoyed watching all the people make it across the course as they entertained us with their antics! LOL. The zip lines were for all ages and I even saw brave 2 year olds going on them!! There was a height requirement but they weren’t too strict with it and the over all attitude was “if your brave enough, your tall enough!” Lol. In the price was included the food… and let me tell you.. it was DELICIOUS!!! The buffet and 3 other restaurants were included and they had a fabulous variety of different foods and they were all very delicious! We were really impressed with the food options.. and of course, pina coladas were FREE!!
- I can’t speak on behalf of all the activities there but I would like to share our experience with what we did! My kids really wanted to do the dolphin experience and it was pretty dang magical! You are in a group of about 10 people and you get to have VERY close encounters with the dolphins including: Kissing the dolphin, being splashed by him, hugging him, and seeing numerous tricks he can do right in front of your face!! My 10 year old and 6 year old did the encounter and LOVED every minute!!! Cooper (our 12 year old) and I did the cave snuba dive. If you haven’t tried Snuba diving… especially with your kids.. YOU MUST!!! It’s truly and amazing experience!! You get pretty much get the same experience of Scuba diving but WITHOUT all the regulations, heavy tank and stress that comes with it! The tank is a multi person tank that is floating above you that the guide moves as you move through the water. You have an oxygen tube and mask but that is it!! You are limited to about 50 ft or however long your oxygen line is… but let me tell you… in my eyes.. it’s the BEST thing EVER invented!!! My 12 year old LOVES it!!! He is so obsessed with diving and just LOVES how you can explore fish, caves, and reefs so freely!! The cave dive was pretty colorless but it was cool to be in caves and just be underwater exploring! Cooper LOVED it…and really to me, that is all that matters!!
- The only thing we found kind of annoying was that each excursion had their own photographer and you couldn’t really get close enough to take your own photos. Of course, if you wanted these AMAZING pics they were pricey… for our family, the CD was over $200 dollars.
- Overall, the park was PACKED with outdoor goodness, fun and exploration!! It was truly an AMAZING experience for our family! For the price, I’m not sure it was worth it but we sure did have a blast and I would recommend it to others!!